Registration for the 2018 New Jersey Regional Middle & High School Science Bowl opens on October 2, 2017 at 12:00PM ET. Click on one of the links below and find your regional to register.
- The Middle School NJ Regional Competition will be held on Friday, February 23, 2018 at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. Registration opens at 8:00 am, morning refreshments will be available. Orientation is at 8:45 am, if there are any available competition slots, team(s) will be selected during this time. Competitions begin at 9:00 am SHARP!
- The High School NJ Regional Competition will be held on Saturday, February 24, 2018 at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. Registration opens at 8:30 am, morning refreshments will be available. Orientation is at 9:15 am, if there are any available competition slots, teams will be selected during this time. Competitions begin at 9:30 am SHARP
PRIVATE, NON-SCHOOL AFFILIATED SCIENCE CLUBS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REGISTER. The only eligible teams are school-based teams and homeschool groups. Each school-based team must be coached by a school employee or a person identified by the school principal. Please review the UPDATED Science Bowl Rules & Guidelines for details & clarification on this and all other official rules.
The most impirtant rule to note this year is geographic boundaries rule (1.1-3):
Each school is assigned to a unique regional competition. A school may only participate in its assigned regional event in order to advance to the National Finals. Therefore, a school may request to compete in a different regional event; however, the team will NOT qualify for the National Finals should the team win the competition. The highest placing team assigned to the geographic area of the regional event would instead qualify for the National Finals.
This means that if the Virginia regional allows a team from Maryland to participate in its regional event, then even if the Maryland team wins the Virginia regional, the highest ranking Virginia team will advance to the National Finals; the Maryland team would win the 1st place trophy and prizes, but NOT be allowed to represent the Virginia regional in DC.
Team Registration and Approval Guidelines:
- Any changes to the team roster may be made by the regional coordinator ONLY, until the registration deadline. No further changes will be allowed after this date.
- The competition is limited to 16 teams for middle schools and 32 teams for high schools.
- The first team from each school is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the registration deadline.
- The National Science Bowl is a school-based competition. Teams of home-schooled students will be considered to belong to a school as long as they are part of an official home school association.
- Schools may register second teams, however, all second teams will be selected by random drawing (NOT by time stamp), space permitting, after the registration deadline.
- First school teams that register will take precedence over any second teams.
NJ Regional Science Bowl “Code of Conduct" & Media Release Forms
- All coaches must download, and return a signed copy of the Code of Conduct to us the day of the competition. Failure to do so may result in team penalties.
- All coaches must print and distribute a copy of the Media Release Form to each team member (see below).
- October 2, 2017: Registration opens for all teams at 12:00 PM.
- November 10, 2017: Team status notification
- January 26, 2018: Registration deadline for all teams.
- February 9, 2018: No further team roster changes will be permitted.
- February 16, 2018: Random drawing for "B" teams will be held, space permitting
- February 16, 2018: Notification of "B" team status to selected teams, if applicable
- February 23, 2018: 2017 New Jersey Regional Middle School Science Bowl
- February 24, 2018: 2017 New Jersey Regional High School Science Bowl