Diversity is at the heart of our Laboratory’s core values. As Steve Cowley, PPPL director, puts it, “Innovation is only possible when staff are able to access, harness, and express their ideas. This requires a diverse and inclusive environment, in which everyone can thrive.”
Our pledge to equity, diversity, and inclusion, in parallel with the Princeton University Racial Equity Initiative, is to attract and retain a staff that more closely reflects both the diverse makeup of the communities we live in and the national pool of candidates.
Our Pledge to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
PPPL set goals in 2020 as part of a five-year equity, diversity and inclusion pledge aimed at transforming our culture. Our objective is to attract and retain staff that more closely reflect both the diverse makeup of the communities we live in and the national pool of candidates. We pledge to:
- Aspire to increase by 50 percent the number of supervisor and leadership members from underrepresented groups by the end of 2025.
- Develop the science, technology, engineering and mathematics pipeline through apprenticeship and internship programs.
- Work with the University to diversify Princeton and PPPL’s postdoctoral researchers and graduate students
- Support professional development in diversity and inclusion for the PPPL community through the University
- Support ongoing inclusion and diversity-related professional development and other educational opportunities for the PPPL community, aligning with Princeton;
- Strengthen PPPL’s small business program for supplier and contractor diversity; and
- Review benefits and policies, with an eye to enhancing equity for all employees.
Employee Resource Groups
PPPL’s employee resource groups (ERGs) are volunteer-led employee groups that work to provide a more inclusive and supportive environment in the PPPL community. These groups provide feedback to leadership, create a sense of belonging, and offer community engagement, networking, and leadership opportunities to our staff. They include: