Environmental Management System
One of the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory’s highest priorities is ensuring that its environmental performance measures up to its world class status in science. As part of our commitment to environmentally responsible operations, we have established a formal Environmental Management System (EMS).
An EMS is a systematic methodology for managing and integrating the environmental, safety and health aspects of operations with special emphasis on compliance assurance, resource efficiency, pollution prevention, and continuous improvement. PPPL implements its EMS in conjunction with its Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS) and work planning processes to meet the requirements of Executive Orders 13423 and 13514 as well as DOE Order 436.1.
The PPPL EMS is certified against the rigorous requirements the globally recognized International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 14001:2004 Environmental Management System Standard. In 2011, an EMS certification audit determined that PPPL’s EMS conforms to the ISO 14001: 2004 Standard. Annual audits are required to maintain an EMS registration, and recertification audits of the entire EMS occur every 3 years.
Related EMS Links/Documents
- PPPL Environmental Stewardship Policy
- ISO 14001:2004 EMS Certification
- Significant Environmental Aspects
- PPPL Site Sustainability Plan FY 2017
PPPL Annual Site Environmental Reports
- Site Environmental Report (2016)
- Site Environmental Report (2015)
- Site Environmental Report (2014)
- Site Environmental Report (2013)
- Site Environmental Report (2012)
- Site Environmental Report (2011)