Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Many Voices, One Future is Princeton's institutional movement toward greater equity, diversity and inclusion. We're continually working to make Princeton a place where everyone's perspectives are welcomed and valued, resulting in a positive and more successful future for the institution and the members of our community. We believe having a diverse workforce is the only way to maintain our position as a world-class leader.
“This is a challenging and exciting time at our laboratory, full of opportunities for growth for our existing and future staff. A diverse staff and inclusive work culture is key to PPPL carrying out our scientific mission of developing fusion energy as a plentiful, safe, and abundant source of generating clean energy. We take this goal very seriously at PPPL and we believe that each member of our staff contributes to our mission. Innovation is only possible when staff are able to access, harness, and express their ideas. This requires a diverse and inclusive environment, in which everyone can thrive. " - Steve Cowley, PPPL Director
At PPPL, we aspire to provide a positive work environment that respects all individuals and encourages excellent work performance and high morale. We provide comprehensive benefits and policies that help employees achieve work life balance and strive to offer programs and services that promote Princeton's commitment to affirmative action, equal employment opportunity, equity, diversity and inclusion.
PPPL’s Core Values
PPPL has identified its core values as Responsibility, Innovation, Safety, and Engagement (RISE)
- Responsibility – We are accountable, respectful, ethical and we strive to be diverse and inclusive.
- Innovation – We pursue transformative ideas and leading-edge solutions in science, engineering, technology and operations.
- Safety – We are vigilant about safety through training, education, and prevention.
- Engagement – We are passionately committed to and focused on scientific, engineering, and operational excellence.
PPPL’s Pledge to EDI:
The Laboratory’s senior leadership is committed and accountable to upholding this pledge. As noted in a recent Lab Diversity Inclusion Plan peer review, PPPL “appears to be in a transition from compliance-driven, to strategy-focused, to transformational culture change.” This change has been intentional and is not finished, but the steps are intended to continue strengthening the EDI program in place at PPPL leading to a transformational culture change that is not only visible on the outside, but reinforced by a feeling generated by the culture on the inside.
• Assemble a staff population that more closely reflects both the diverse makeup of the communities we live in, and the national pool of candidates - aspire to increase by 50% the number of supervisor and leadership members from underrepresented groups by the end of 2025;
• Commit to pipeline development, through apprenticeship and internship programs;
• Strengthen parallel initiatives to diversify Princeton and PPPL’s postdoctoral researchers, and graduate students;
• Support ongoing inclusion and diversity-related professional development and other educational opportunities for the PPPL community, aligning with Princeton;
• Strengthen PPPL’s small business program for supplier and contractor diversity; and
• Review benefits and policies, with an eye to enhancing equity for all employees.
LINK: Many Voices, One Future