High School Semester-Long Internship / High School Summer Internship
PPPL internships for fall, spring or summer are available for highly motivated high school students!
September 1 – spring internship application opens
November 30 – spring internship application closes (midnight)
February 1 – fall (for following academic year) internship application opens
April 30 – fall internship application closes (midnight)
November 22 – summer internship application opens
January 31 – summer internship application closes (midnight)
PPPL's Science Education department offers a limited number of internship positions for outstanding high school seniors throughout the school year and the summer after graduation. Each term, which lasts about 8 (summer) to 16 (semester) weeks, offers students the chance to work on a project with a member of our research or engineering staff. The exact dates of the internship depend on the participant's school schedule. The summer internship schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but occasionally, alternate arrangements can be made.
To be eligible, students must:
- be at least 16 years of age AND a graduating senior in high school when internship begins. This is for during the academic year of your senior year or the summer after you graduate. NOT the summer after your junior year.
- be United States citizens or permanent resident alien at the time of application
- Obtain transportation to and from the Laboratory (The High School Internship is a commuter program. Housing is NOT provided. Reimbursement for mileage to/from the lab is NOT provided)*
For academic year internships only, students must:
- Arrange with their school a schedule that provides sufficient release time (if during the academic year)
- Earn academic credit from their school for their participation. School administrator or Guidance Counselor must provide an email confirming academic credits to: firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) before accepted student begins internship
- Work at PPPL during regular business hours for at least 8 hours/week in periods of at least 4 hours per day** SATURDAY/SUNDAY and AFTER-HOURS WORK IS NOT ALLOWED
It is strongly recommended that students have:
- some experience relevant to an experimental or computational project in plasma physics
- a strong interest in plasma physics, fusion energy, etc.
- taken some or all of the following classes: physics, chemistry, advanced math, engineering, etc.
- some experience with coding/computer languages
* In some cases of demonstrated need or economic hardship, limited funds may be available to help with transportation costs. Please contact email@example.com if transportation is an issue.
**Note: Internships during the school year require students to have early release from school or a complete day off. We cannot accommodate students who are only available after regular school hours. Regular business hours are Mon.-Fri., 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory managed by Princeton University.
© 2019 Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. All rights reserved.