A Collaborative National Center for Fusion & Plasma Research

Community College Internship Program FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I have previously participated in the CCI program, am I allowed to reapply? 

A: If you have already participated in CCI once before, you are eligible to apply & participate one more time.  

Q: Can I participate if I am graduating in May/June of the current year?

A: Yes, a limited number of placements can be made to "graduating seniors." You are eligible to apply to the internship up to one year after graduating from an undergraduate institution. Be sure to complete the section for graduating seniors on the CCI application.

Q: Do I have to send official transcripts, or can I send unofficial transcripts?

A: You can send an unofficial transcript with your application. There is no need to mail your transcript to us.

Q: I don't have health insurance. Can I participate if I get health insurance by the start of the program?

A: Yes. You must have current health insurance coverage while participating in the program.

Q: How much will I get paid?

A: Summer undergraduate interns will receive $500/week for 10 weeks of research. 

Q: When do I get paid?

A:  You will receive 50% of your stipend a few weeks before the program begins and you will receive the other 50% a week before the program concludes. 

Q: Can I get direct deposit?

A: No. 

Q: Does the program pay for food?

A: The program will provide three meals a day during the first week ONLY. From the second week of the program until the conclusion, you are responsible for your meals.

Q: Is there a dress code?

A: The Lab is a fairly casual atmosphere; often jeans are the norm. If you are working in a lab you will need closed-toe shoes, this is a must. You can contact your mentor for suggestions specific to your work site. There is one public event (a poster session) for which you will need business attire (Gentlemen should plan to wear shirt & tie, slacks and dress shoes. Ladies should plan to wear skirt-suit or dress blouse and dress pants and dress shoes).

Q: Do I have to pay taxes on the educational stipend I receive while participating in a PPPL internship?

A: PPPL will issue NOT W9 form to undergraduate internship participants. PPPL is not allowed to give tax advice, please consult a tax professional.

Q: I am a Permanent Resident of the United States. Am I required to provide documentation?

A: Yes, if accepted into the program, you will be required to provide a copy of your Permanent Resident status during badging.

Q: Can I miss a couple of days during the program for vacation?

A: No, participants are required to attend the entire program and not take any time off.

Q: Do I need to arrange my own travel?

A: No, PPPL's travel department will arrange and pre-pay for flights/train/bus and reimburse for mileage (within Department of Energy travel suidelines).

Q: What are the DOE’s travel guidelines?

A: Department of Energy travel guidelines: UP TO $1,000, will be paid for coach airfare (within the United States) from Home or School to PPPL/Princeton and from PPPL/Princeton to home or school. DOE regulations require that we use the lowest available airfare. Travel by car will be paid at a rate of $0.51/mile, not to exceed the cost of equivalent airfare. 

Q: Do I need to arrange my own housing?

A: No. The Science Education Department Program Administrator will make all housing arrangements at PPPL (Princeton University dorms). Housing information will be sent a week prior to your arrival at Princeton. The program will also cover the cost of housing. 

Q: Will I be allowed to park on-site?

A: Yes, parking permits will be issued to participants. Once you arrive on Princeton University's main campus and check-in, you will be issued a parking permit, if you chose to drive your personal vehicle. Conference Services will instruct you where you may park. However, on the first week of the program, you must arrive by 8:00 AM daily and cannot leave until late in the day and you will have to take a Lab shuttle. If you will remain at PPPL for the summer and you have your vehicle, you will notify security at the time of your badging and they will issue you a parking decal which allows you to park onsite.

Q: What is the mailing address at PPPL that I may use to receive my mail/packages?

A: You may have your mail sent to:


CCI (your name)


PO Box 451

Princeton, NJ 08543

 For Fed-Ex or UPS:

CCI (your name)


100 Stellarator Road

Science Education

Princeton, NJ 08543

Q: How do I acknowledge DOE and the CCI program in presentations and publications?

A: When acknowledging WDTS support, please use the following statement - "This work was supported in part by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) under the Community College Internship (CCI) program."

Q.  I need a letter of recommendation; can the Science Education staff write one for me?

A.  Letters of recommendation are to be written by the mentor not the Science Education staff.

U.S. Department of Energy
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory managed by Princeton University.

Website suggestions and feedback

Google+ · Pinterest · Instagram · Flipboard

PPPL is ISO-14001 certified

Princeton University Institutional Compliance Program

Privacy Policy

© 2018 Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. All rights reserved.

Princeton University
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
P.O. Box 451
Princeton, NJ 08543-0451
GPS: 100 Stellarator Road
Princeton, NJ, 08540
(609) 243-2000