Community College Internship (CCI)
The Community College Internship (CCI) program at PPPL is for students interested in technical careers relevant to plasma physics and fusion energy research. Students work under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers, on projects supporting PPPL's research.
Applications for the CCI program are solicited annually for the Summer Term. Internship appointments are 10 weeks in duration. Each DOE laboratory offers different technical internship opportunities; not all DOE laboratories participate in the CCI program.
As a part of the internship, students are offered housing on the Princeton University campus and a stipend of $500/week for the 10-week experience. During the first week, students learn about plasma physics and fusion in an intensive course combining laboratory techniques with the fundamentals of plasma physics.
What is Expected of Each Participant
Complete the full ten or sixteen week program
Attend the one-week intensive plasma physics course at PPPL
Complete entrance and exit surveys on the WARS system
Submit a complete copy of a Research Paper and present a poster at the end of the summer
Submit an abstract of their research in the required format
Attend all scheduled events including lectures, seminars, tours and group activities
- Conduct yourself in a responsible and professional manner
Eligibility for the CCI program requires that all applicants:
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying.
- Must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours towards a degree.
- Must have an undergraduate cumulative minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all completed courses as a matriculating student.
- Must be 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- Must be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien at the time of applying.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien status will be requested at the time an internship offer is accepted. Acceptable form of proof of U.S. Citizenship includes, but is not limited to, a Certified Birth Certificate, an U.S. State Government Issued Enhanced Drivers License, U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth (of U.S. citizen) Abroad, or Certification of Birth. Permanent Resident Aliens must hold an active United States Permanent Resident Card.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent at the time of applying.
- Proof of an earned High School diploma or for passing all five GED tests required to achieve a Certificate of General Educational Development should be provided on the applicant’s undergraduate transcripts.
For additional information on the CCI program and to apply, please visit the Department of Energy CCI website.
For more information about the program, please contact Deedee Ortiz at: email@example.com