Check out the world of fusion energy research! The Laboratory's Communications staff arranges on-site tours for groups of ten or more. Participants must be high school age and older. Tours are free of charge and by appointment only. Individuals who would like to tour the Laboratory may join a scheduled tour group. Tours generally occur Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Occasionally, special arrangements can be made for evening and weekend tours. A minimum of two weeks advance notice for group tours is required.
PPPL Scientists and engineers conduct most of the tours. Guided tours take about two hours and include a short, introductory video and presentation about PPPL and fusion research, followed by a visit to one or more of the experimental areas. A highlight of the tour is the National Spherical Torus Experiment (NSTX), the Laboratory's newest fusion device, when it is available. NSTX is not open for tours when it is operating.
Cameras are allowed, but the following restrictions apply in the experimental areas:
- No briefcases or packages.
- No food or drinks.
- No high-heeled shoes, open-toed shoes, or sandals.
- Radiation monitoring will be performed on your group as required by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Hard hats will be provided in areas where they are required.
If you would like to schedule a tour, please call (609) 243-2757 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Please include the following information:
- Requestor's name, postal mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone
- Number of people in the tour group
- Group's background, i.e., students; professional engineering society; or general interest of group
- Name of the school or organization.
Accommodations for persons with disabilities can be arranged with advanced notice.
Visitors may purchase lunch at PPPL's Cafeteria, across from the Auditorium, with advance notice. Special catering arrangements can be made in conjunction with tours. If your tour group is planning to use the Cafeteria following a tour or is interested in catering services prior to a tour, please contact the PPPL Cafeteria Manager at (609) 243-3350.
Note: The PPPL Cafeteria is normally closed on evenings and weekends.